Everything you need to know about the different waste management
There are many types of waste, perhaps more than you were even aware of. Each may have unique requirements for waste disposal. Here we look at the different types of waste and how to dispose of them correctly and safely.
Types of waste and how to manage their disposal:
- Landfill waste – Waste that cannot be disposed of any other way. It refers to waste on the ground or buried under it. This includes food waste and inert waste. This waste should be re-used whenever possible. Otherwise, it should be sent to the landfill site.
- Inert waste – Waste from demolition and construction work. This includes rubble, hardcore, concrete, and some soil. Soil may need to be tested to see which landfill can process it. Some inert waste can be recycled.
- Hazardous waste – Any waste that could cause harm to people or the environment. Examples include chemicals, asbestos, and batteries. You should contact an authorised company to dispose of this waste and maintain relevant paperwork.
- Bulky items – This includes large items such as furniture, mattresses, and white goods. These heavy and bulky items should be disposed of by your local council or waste management company, such as Rubbish Disposal.
- Builder’s waste – This includes rubble, tiles, concrete, wood, and plaster. The disposal of this waste depends on the material. You can check the Gov.uk website for specific details.
- Scrap waste – This includes metal waste, vehicle parts, and manufacturing waste. Any metal should be sorted into magnetic and non-magnetic, and any hazardous scrap should be separated. Some scrap metal can be recycled.
- Green waste – This includes leaves, plants, weeds, grass, and any other gardening waste. You can use a commercial garden waste collection service to dispose of garden waste.
- Recyclable waste – This includes plastic, cardboard, paper, tins, cartons etc. All materials that can be recycled. You may need to clean and separate your items to single-stream recycling. There will usually be different bags, bins and containers for specific recyclable items depending on the area you are in.
If you are unsure of how to manage your waste, you can contact the professionals at Rubbish Disposals for more information on 01708 47375.